Friday, November 29, 2013

The Unattainable Goddess

Her hair, that flows behind ev'ry short step
Does not turn once, nor twice, nor thrice my way.
On one occasion she did not accept
The token of my heart that breaks away.

I am the peasant in her kingdom here
Where I am not the only one that knows
The power she wields to be a puppeteer.  
But still, my love for that goddess now grows.

The distancing that has been tried just fails.
When meeting I avert the eyes of gold.
And now I follow her like dog and tail,
Just waiting for the day that love unfolds.

But in the end, the beauty that I see
Shall only be a distant dream to me.

2 comments:

  1. I really like this! Your word choice and everything about this sonnet was awesome. Great Job Leyla :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great use of imagery Leyla-- using the archetypal figures of princess/goddess versus peasant to show, in a feudal sense, the power that the Adored has over the speaker. You reinforced that at the end as well by summarizing the hope as "a distant dream"-- almost like a castle in the air. The fact that the "distant dream" occurs in the ending couplet seems to finalize the unfortunate outcome that the speaker has been wistfully dreading in the previous lines, so it works as the "key" to the poem.

    Unrequited love is a perfect subject for a sonnet, and the archaic imagery nicely brings to mind a Renaissance setting. :) Nice use of rhythm and meter as well!
    15/15

    ReplyDelete